Sunday, May 8, 2011

Not To Be Served, But To Serve...

Happy Mother's Day 2011 to all you wonderful moms out there!  I hope that each of you were blessed today and that you had an opportunity to reflect on the amazing gift of being a mother.

This title, Not to be Served, but to Serve, is what was written on the marquis of my dad's church when I was growing up in Austin.  Somehow, even as a young girl these words seemed to resonate with me.  They still do today.  There have been several occasions when I thought I might blog using this title, but it didn't really seem to fit until the pieces finally came together today.  Our pastor gave a sermon today that allowed me to complete the puzzle, so to speak.  He gave us 3 points to think about as followers of Christ, and spoke directly to the moms in the congregation.  In doing so, I recalled the words not to be served, but to serve and easily applied them to each of his 3 points.  These are listed below, with some of my own commentary....

  1. Live before your children a life that becomes the Gospel.  From this I took away that as a mom, my purpose is not to be served by my children, but to serve them.  I mean this loosely...not that I am there to wait on them hand and foot, not that I am to lose who I am so that I can be everything to them, and not that I forget about parenting and disciplining and teaching, but that I am to show them the way.  I am to serve them, by serving as He would.)
  2. Lift up Christ with your life.  Only one King can be served...who is it for your life? (As a follower of Christ I am here not to be served by Him, but to serve Him...1st.  This one really makes me take a look at myself and reflect on how well I am doing.  Have I made Him 1st?  And if I say I have, do I live that?  Then there is the accountability I have for my children.  Am I teaching them to do the same, to put Him 1st?  Am I an example of what to do, or perhaps, what not to do?)
  3. Shine light on Christ with your life.  In Him, through Him and with Him, be a light unto others and myself, such that through me, others see Him....Not for my glory, but for His.  All Glory, Laud and Honor, to you Redeemer King.  I love the words to that hymn...now if I can just be sure to always and in all ways put those words into action.

Deep thougths on this Mother's Day, but happy, blessed and thankful ones as well. 

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment