Monday, January 10, 2011

From the Mouths of Babes...

The fact that I was raised a minister's daughter might lead one to believe that I am confident with PDP's (public displays of prayer).  Perhaps I should restate that.  One might think that I am comfortable with PDMOPP (public display of my own personal prayers).  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Maybe it is because I never really had the practice.  Growing up with both my dad and my grandfather being pastors, there was always someone else to lead us in prayer.  It was such a feeling of relief to me!

In the last year, I have had to become a bit more practiced (I won't say comfortable) with praying publicly.  If my co-facilitator isn't with me while leading a mom's group, then the poor moms present are stuck with me.  Thankfully for those moms who attend the classes, we can usually call upon my dear friend and mentor, Allyson George, for her beautiful and always spot-on prayers.  You all may know someone who has THE GIFT.  The unmistaken, seemingly direct line to Him, by way of the words that flow forth so naturally and freely while praying.  That is Allyson!  She has THE GIFT!  Sometimes, however, she is attending to other church matters and the women of the group hear me muddle through an opening prayer.

I'll give you an example.  Recently, my very 1st moms's discussion group got together for a special Christmas dinner.  It came time to eat and we all gathered around to bless the meal.  My husband, rather chivalrously, volunteered me to lead us in prayer.  I had no back-up that night, so it was all me.  Allyson was at her daughter's volleyball game.  She couldn't be reached by cell phone...I tried!  I have no recollection of what I said and just hope it was audible and half-way appropriate.  I do realize that it really isn't about me, this praying out loud.  It is all to His glory and I need to get over myself and stop worrying about saying the right thing.

This fear of mine, or perhaps just plain discomfort I have about praying out loud, is not something I want my children to inherit from me, so we are consciously making an effort to help them feel comfortable praying out loud.  I am a firm believer that if we want our children to pray, both privately and publicly (by publicly I simply mean, outloud...individually, with family, with friends), then we need to model praying with them and for them.

At our house we have developed a tradition of sorts involving prayer.  Every night, we all gather in one room and say our prayers together.  If we are in the den (the one room in our house with a T.V., we shut it off).  If my husband is on a trip, we call him at bedtime and he tries his best to be available for our nightly prayers.  We each take turn saying prayers individually and we all say our family prayer (something I made up one night with our 1st born that has stuck around for about 10 years), and finally we recite The Lord's Prayer.  This may sound like a long routine, but it takes no more that five minutes.  What I enjoy most about this time is hearing what the girls have to say in their prayers.  They always tell what they are thankful for and they usually choose someone who is sick or hurting in some way and ask God to help that person.  While praying out loud they are establishing so many good habits.  Here are just a few:
  • An open relationshiop with God
  • Honesty with self and family members
  • Habitual praying (done every night)
  • Practice in speaking out loud
From the mouths of babes!  Prayer time is when I often learn of their fears, hopes, blessings and joys.  If you do not have a prayer time with your children I encourage you to start.  Make a commitment to pray with and for your children.  Let them hear what is one your heart.  Share your blessings with them and thank God for them.  When they hear you saying these words, you are modeling for them a love of God and passing it on to them.

Do you have a prayer tradition in your household?  Feel free to post here and share your thoughts with others reading this blog.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment