Sunday, January 16, 2011

Moms Inspiring Moms

If I tried to list all of the women out there that serve as an inspiration to me, this would quite possibly be the longest blog ever.  I'll just describe several:

There is the fellow mom who has been there and done that, and smiles the whole way through who serves as my "mothering can be done gracefully" mentor mom. 

There is the fellow mom who owns her own business and finds the time to lie in the grass with her kids on mild Spring days that serves as my "Don't forget to to fulfill my own dreams/needs while enjoying my children immensely" mentor mom. 

There is the fellow mom whose house is THE HOUSE.  (You know, the one with the revolving door for kids and animals alike...the house at which ALL the neighborhood kids love to be ALL the time.)  She serves as my, "Be flexible while raising your children and create a welcoming environment" mentor mom.  

There is the fellow mom who approaches everything as a learning opportunity and throws herself into researching her children's passions and helping reach their goals who serves as my, "Help your children realize their dreams and provide them with learning opportunities every chance you get" mentor mom.


There is the fellow mom that easily relaxes with her kids and is seen laughing with them more often that not that serves as my, "Don't take life so seriously" mentor mom. 
 
There is the fellow mom that is a living example of walking with Christ for her children....the mom who takes the time to have the morning Bible studies, brings Biblical examples into every day occurrances and reinforces His love in all that she does, that serves as my, "Teach your kids about Jesus, not just through words, but also through your own actions" mentor mom. 
 
There is the fellow mom who has suffered loss like none I could ever imagine, yet continues to take steps every day to insure the life of her family is full of love, laughter and peace through Him that serves as my "Even through tremendous suffering one can have joy" mentor mom.
 
The list could truly go on and on.  There are so many incredibly inspiring moms out there who I am blessed to know...so many wonderful women who have helped, and continue to help me in my journey as a mom.
 
I ran across a website while doing some research on mothers in the bible.  ( http://freepages.religions.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gentutor/BibleMothers.html )  I take from it this information about Mary and Elisabeth. 
 
I suppose the world's most revered mother is Mary, mother of Jesus. Her cousin Elisabeth was also a godly person, who in her old age gave birth to John the Baptist. Mary visited Elizabeth for about three months while both were approaching motherhood. With this common experience their age difference became insignificant as they joyfully planned for the birth of their sons, who were to be so near the same age. They found much joy in each other because they loved and understood each other and had the same strong belief in God.


Motherhood is, I believe, one of the greatest equalizers.  Both Mary and Elisabeth were fulfilling God's intent, while living with their own struggles and triumphs.  Just as they were meant to walk together, so are we.  From each other they gained inspiration, as we can and do receive inspiration from one another.
 
Who are your mentor moms?  What are you learning from them? 
 
For whom do you serve as a mentor mom and what are you teaching to others?
 
God gave us each other to lean on, laugh with, share with, lift up and walk side-by-side in our roles as moms.  I encourage you to let your mentor moms know that they have been an inspiration to you.  Tell them how they have served as a source of encouragement...and in turn, be that source of light for another mom out there.
 
Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. love this, I have even thought about writing a book about all the incredible moms in my life and their 'stories.' thanks for reminding me to appreciate the moms I know for their individual gifts. -Allyson

    ReplyDelete