Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

So today is Valentine's Day and I am wondering what the day has in store for my 3 girls.  I can't help but wonder what future Valentine's days have in store for them, too.  As the parents of 3 daughters I was telling my husband yesterday that it is important for him to model the behaviors that I hope they will come to expect in the guys that will be interested in them in the future.  I was trying to say that although he may feel Valentine's Day is a commercial holiday, fabricated for the benefit of businesses everywhere (which may be true), it is still important for guys to show their love for girls on that day.  (and every other day, but on that day, too.)  This was not a ploy for my own Valentine's gift....really.

My favorite verses, and probably the one that is read at 90% of weddings, is from 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7.  Love is patient and kind.  Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.  Love does not demand its own way.  Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged.  It is never glad about injustice, but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.  Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. 

The above make me think.  How much am I modeling this for my girls and my husband?  How much do he and I model this together for them?  What expectations are we creating in the girls, and are they positive or negative?

I do know this...I will try my best to make Valentine's Day special in our home.  I don't mean anything extravagant.  We started with heart paper plates and napkins this morning, with muffins (box mix, not from scratch) shaped like hearts, too.  Tonight we'll end around the formal dining table, eating a nice meal by candlelight.  Each family member will find a special Valentine message under his/her plates.  It isn't much, but honestly, it doesn't take much to say "I love you", does it?

How are you spending your Valentine's Day and what are you doing to model His love in your homes, today and every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment