Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Your sanctuary...

Last April I embarked on what one might consider a very small endeavor.  I redid our master bedroom.  Unbeknownst to my husband, I hired a handy man to rip out an old, built-in vanity, patch the walls and paint them.  I bought a couple of pieces of furniture and a new comforter, and rearranged the room a little.  This was done with the help of a small army of dear friends over the course of 4 days, while my husband was out of town.

I tell you this, not to say that I accomplished some giant feat, but to encourage you to think about your sanctuary.  We, my husband and I, did not have a sanctuary.  I not so affectionately called our bedroom the "dumping ground".  Having a home with little storage space, and not being the most organized people in the world, we had the tendency to use our bedroom as a storage house for paperwork, good-will items, old electronics, etc.  You get the picture, I think.  It was not a pretty, inviting, warm, or comfortable one.

I looked in the Bible for instruction on how to make a house a home; however, I really didn't find much.  Perhaps this is because I am no Biblical scholar and really didn't know where to search other than looking for verses in the back of the book that led me to house or home.  Only two verses did I find to be somewhat applicable.  The 1st is from Proverbs 14:1.  It reads...A wise woman builds her house; a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands.  The second is from proverbs 24:3.  It reads...A house is built by wisdom and becomes strong through good sense.  It is a blessing that I have wise friends, friends much wiser than I in these matters, with whom I was able to consult about my miniature remodel.  Through their knowledge, advice, physical labor and wisdom, I was able put a bit more strength in the foundation of my home.  It may seem like a small thing, but I truly believe that it is important to have a sanctuary. 

In talking with a friend about this last night, she said she instituted a rule at her home that no children's toys are allowed in her room.  (Her boys are 3 and 6.)  What a smart and simple rule.  It helps to keep her room in order and helps her children respect that Mommy has a space to call her own. 

Another tip that a friend shared with me that I took to heart is to make sure that your children do have a place to BE in your room.  Whether you allow them to sprawl out on the bed, sit on a bench or a chaise lounge, or have a rocking chair in the corner with a reading light nearby like I do, I think it makes sense to have a simple space where the kids feel welcome.

Take a look around your space...the one you and your husband share together, or that you call all your own if you are a single mom...and be honest with yourself. Do you like what you see? Do you wake up in the morning feeling refreshed and have a sense of peace with your room? If so, that is wonderful! It is a magnificent feeling, and I would love to hear any suggestions you have for creating and maintaining such a place.  If not, what small or big changes can be made to make your room a place you want to be?

As always...all suggestions are welcome!

Blessings,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment